Job #2021-J07 open until August 15, 2021
Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) Intestinal Epithelial Barrier in Autoimmune Diseases
24 days left to apply!
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidel-berg in Germany. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds - academ-ia and industry - and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more effi-cient, more agile, and more fun.
About Team IEB
The main objective of the research group Intestinal Epithelial Barrier in Autoimmune Diseases (IEB), headed by Dr. Martin Resnik-Docampo, is to understand the molecular mechanisms of the interactions between intestinal epithelial barrier and immune cells, in particular the interactions between dendritic cells and intestinal enterocytes. Studies will involve use of conventional and high-throughput metagenomics, generation of intestinal organoids from murine and human sub-jects, isolation of immune cells and co-culture system. Our final goal is to identify novel biomarkers and develop new therapeutic targets for intestinal barrier loss and autoimmune diseases that will improve patient outcomes.
We are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers to broaden our think-tank with intellectual power and technical excellence. The ideal candidate would have a Ph. D degree in cell/molecular biology, immunology or biochemistry and a strong background in immunology.
- Proven experience in immunology, preferably in antigen-presenting cells (i.e., Dendritic cells)
- Familiarity with the intestinal field
- Comprehensive background in cell sorting and immune profiling (i.e., Flow cytometry)
- Experience with tissue ex vivo handling (i.e., cell isolation in murine and/or human)
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
- Theoretical and/or technical background in autoimmune diseases
- Experience in high-throughput screening techniques (i.e., scRNAseq, RNAseq)
- Hands on experience with basic molecular biology techniques and genetic manipulation of cells (e.g., PCR, RNA isolation, western blotting, cloning, lentivirus preparation, transduc-tion, overexpression and knockdown, CRISPR/Cas9)
- Experience with microscopy techniques (e.g., confocal microscopy, live cell imaging)
- Skills in bioinformatic analysis (e.g., R, differential gene detection, high throughput data analysis)
- Knowledge in mass cytometry (CyTOF) or mass spectrometry.
What we offer
- International, diverse, and positive work atmosphere, flexible working environment
- A competitive salary
- Access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institu-tions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg
- Access to a vast network in science and industry.
- Job ticket, sponsored fitness contract, complimentary fresh fruit, soft drinks and chocolate team recognition events, etc.
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 October 2023. The position is sponsored by Merck.
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publi-cations, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 2 reference letters
The position is available as of 1 September 2021. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Martin Resnik-Docampo before 15 August 2021 via our online application system. Applications will be considered and processed as they come in, hence we encourage you to apply at your earliest convenience.