Job #2021-J04 open until July 7, 2021
Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) Protective Tissue Factors in Autoimmune Diseases
19 days left to apply!
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds - academia and industry - and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.
About Team Protective Tissue Factors in Autoimmune Diseases (PTA)
The main objective of the group, headed by Mojca Frank-Bertoncelj MD PhD, is to understand the molecular mechanisms that promote pro-resolution responses in immune and stromal cells to restore homeostasis. In particular, the team will use the human synovium as a model system to characterize the pro-resolving phenotypes of macrophages in rheumatoid arthritis. The core of the project will be the development of a first in kind synovium-in-a-dish assay for systematic monitoring of macrophage functions. Our final goal is to identify new therapeutic targets, which promote pro-resolution in inflammation and autoimmune diseases, and thereby proposing novel concepts to improve patient outcomes.
For the open postdoc position in Team PTA, we are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers to broaden our think-tank with their intellectual power and technical excellence. The ideal candidate would have a Ph. D degree in cell/molecular/cancer biology, immunology or biochemistry and a strong background in 3D human tissue modelling.
- Proven experience in 3D tissue modelling and cell culture (spheroids, organoids, hydrogels, bio-scaffolds, organ-on-a-chip/microfluidics or bioprinting-based tissue models).
- Expertise in 3D modelling with multiple cell types; modelling with stromal cells or macrophages, would be an advantage.
- Experience with high-resolution imaging platforms
- Independent thinking
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional skills as an asset for the position
- Experience in macrophage pathobiology in autoimmune diseases or cancer (i.e. tumor microenvironment)
- Theoretical and/or technical background in matrix (mechano)biology in autoimmune or inflammatory diseases or cancer
- Experience with bioinformatic analysis of single cell RNA-sequencing/spatial transcriptomic data)
- Additonal experience with multispectral flow cytometry or mass cytometry (CyTOF) would be an asset.
What we offer
- International, diverse, and positive work atmosphere, flexible working environment
- A competitive salary
- Access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg
- Access to a vast scientific network.
- Job ticket, sponsored fitness contract, complimentary fresh fruit, soft drinks and chocolate, team recognition events, etc.
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 July 2025. The position ist sponsored by Janssen.
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- A short project proposal that gives us an idea of your scientific expertise and how your skills would fit. (2-3 pages describing the scientific rationale and a unique experimental approach).
- 2 reference letters
The position is available as of 1 August 2021. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Mojca Frank-Bertoncelj before 7 July 2021 via our online application system. Applicants will be interviewed upon incoming documents, hence please get in touch as soon as you decide to apply.