Job #2018-J14 closed since December 31, 2018
Postdoctoral Position (m/f) in Bioinformatics Brain Microcircuits in Psychiatric Diseases
What we are looking for
A postdoctoral position in bioinformatics is available in the team of “Brain Microcircuits in Psychiatric Diseases” at the BioMed X Innovation Center in Heidelberg. The main aim of the group is to understand biological correlates of phenotypes related to human psychiatric diseases. We are looking for a highly enthusiastic researcher to broaden our think-tank with her/his intellectual power and technical excellence. The ideal candidate has a strong background in systems biology and is capable of thinking “outside the box”. You will contribute to an internationally competitive research group employing advanced behavioral, genetic and physiological approaches to understand the mechanisms of glial cell contribution to the dysfunction of neuronal networks. You will be responsible for the bioinformatical analysis and interpretation of gene expression data, including deconvolution of cell type-specific transcripts obtained from mixed populations. Furthermore, you will perform the functional analysis of gene clusters and the comparison of our original data with published resources across species (human and rodents). Throughout the project you will be offered a friendly support by bioinformaticians from the industry and academia.
- PhD in the area of bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, systems biology
- Background in neurobiology or molecular cell biology
- Experience in processing RNAseq data and related software (e.g. QualiMap, STAR Aligner, CuffLinks, DEseq2)
- Experience in mining, integration and analysis of high-throughput datasets (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics) and related software
- Advanced skills in data analysis in R
- Independent and creative thinking
- Very good work organization skills
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
- Experience in high-throughput screening methods
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 1- 2 reference letters
What we offer
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 July 2020. BioMed X is a multidisciplinary and international research institution with a very collegial and flexible working environment. As part of the remuneration package we offer a competitive salary, access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg. Team recognition events, such as our annual two-day retreat, joint luncheons and after work events, a Summer and a Christmas party are just some of the other perks our fellows enjoy.
The position is sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim.
The position is available as of 01 January 2019. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Michal Slezak before 31 December 2018 via the online application system on this website. Applicants will be interviewed upon incoming documents, hence please get in touch as soon as you decide to apply.
BioMed X Innovation Center
Contact: Dr. Michal Slezak